from the water as nitrates and phosphates. Whilst consuming these nitrates and phosphates from the fluidiser reactor water column, the bacteria and enzymes actually break down the Bio Pearls, leaving no undesirable pollutants in the water.
The clever bit
Once the unwanted nitrates and phosphates have been reduced to trace levels and a stable state is reached, the bacteria and enzymes no longer grow. However, if the levels of feeding or waste production increase in the tank, iQuatics Bio Pearls will spring back into action and start controlling the surplus nitrates and phosphates once more.
Why not just use a skimmer?
Only about 30% of the unwanted nutrients in the water can be captured by standard skimming. This is because the other 70% are not capable of sticking to the surface of the skimmer bubbles. iQuatics Bio Pearls absorb these nutrients and convert them into slime coated bacteria, which can be skimmed. Furthermore, the bacteria’s sticky surface facilitates the capture of tiny particles of waste from the fluidiser column as they pass through the skimmer, removing them before they start to break down. All of this means much clearer water in your tank, and less work for you!
IMPORTANT NOTE: To avoid causing shock to your aquarium inhabitants by the sudden reduction of NO3 (Nitrate) and PO4 (Phosphate) we recommend the gradual addition of Bio Pearls to your system, the following is a guideline for the addition of Bio Pearls to a 300L aquarium.
Recommended quantities are 100-150ml per 100l of water.